So, I’m back from a week in Sydney. The suggestions from the Ask Metafilter community were fantastic, and we kept ourselves very busy. In brief:
Five Neat Things About Sydney
- Tim-Tams – addictive chocolate-covered cookies.
- The Currency – bills are colorful and nicely-designed, and made of an un-rippable polymer; plus, no pennies or one-dollar bills!
- Mandatory voting – vote or be fined. This makes so much sense.
- The butterscotch souffle at Wildfire – the best dessert I’ve ever had, period.
- Optional Tipping – like the encore, some gestures are meaningless when they’re mandatory
Five Not-So-Neat About Sydney:
- Vegemite – I tried it and it’s about exactly what I expected. Blecch.
- Stupid copyright laws – plus, the Kazaa offices were raided while we were there
- Australian Cockroach & Huntsmen Spiders (tie) – giant roaches in the streets and giant spiders inside. Eek.
- Television – lots of American TV, six months (or more) behind the States
- Kylie Minogue – she’s some sort of a national treasure and completely unavoidable