Tom Jennings, the creator of Fidonet and all-around renaissance guy, will be speaking this Saturday in downtown Los Angeles. This Wired article from 1996 gives some background on the man that made my first taste of the Internet possible (indirectly, through a Fidonet news/mail gateway). He’ll be speaking about his Story Teller project, an experiment in obsolete computing that prints and vocalizes text and symbols stored on punched tape. Time and directions inside, if you’re interested.
When: Saturday, June 22, 2002 at 7pm
1. Find yourself in front of Full House Restaurant located at 963 N. Hill Street in Chinatown. (Map)
2. Locate the alley on the left hand side of Full House.
3. Walk about 20 feet down the alley (away from the street).
5. Notice dumpster on your right hand side.
6. Take a right and continue down the alley.
7. Exercise caution so as not trip on the wobbly cement blocks underfoot
8. The entrance to C-Level is located 10 yards down on left side, behind a red door, down a black staircase.